Frequently Asked Questions
Why was my garbage missed?
Why was my recycling cart missed?
Why was my bulky item(s) missed?
What is my trash collection day?
How do I get a replacement trash cart?
Q: Why was my garbage missed?
A: Common reasons for your trash cart not being collected may include:
Property not serviced by the City of Hartford-DPW only collects from 1-6 family buildings.
- You used a non-regulation trash container-DPW only allows City authorized carts.
- Container is broken, cannot be serviced and must be replaced by the homeowner.
- Unacceptable material in trash cart like recyclables, construction debris or it is too heavy.
- Carts set out after the truck went by your house. DPW requires you roll trash cart(s) the curb after 4 pm the night before the day of collection or before 7 am the day of collection.
Q: Why was my recycling cart missed?
Common reasons for your recycling not being collected may include:
- Contaminated or unacceptable material is in the recycling cart. Route drivers will regularly inspect the recycling [blue] carts to ensure that the recyclables are not contaminated with other trash. Dirty diapers, litter, construction debris are contaminants. Others examples are detailed under acceptable recyclable items.
- Carts set out after the truck went by. DPW requires you roll trash cart(s) the curb after 4 pm the night before the day of collection or before 7 am the day of collection.
Q: Why was my bulky item(s) missed?
A: Common reasons for you bulky waste not collected may include:
- Unacceptable materials.
- Materials not properly presented.
- Too many bulky items placed on curb. Each property is limited to 5 bulky
items on curb from the list detailed under acceptable bulky items.
Q: What is my trash collection day?
A: Please see trash collection map.
Q:How do I get a replacement trash cart?
A: You may only replace a trash cart if you are the owner of a 1-6 family property.
You may replace your trash cart by completing an application form with payment and delivering to our office in person or by mail. Our office is located at 525 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Hartford, CT 06103, Attn Stacey Willis.
The current price for a replacement trash (grey) cart is $35 regardless of the reason for loss-broken, stolen, new property. You may make the check or money order payable to “City of Hartford”. Trash carts will be delivered to you within 5-10 working days. You may download an application for a replacement cart here.
If you need your recycling (blue) cart to be replaced, please call our Call Center by dialing 311 from a Hartford landline or (860) 757-9311. Recycling cats are free and are to be used for recycling only. You may register your recycling blue cart for rewards by contacting Recyclebank.